Re: Rock against sexism? Nah...

> Normal men are sexist

Jessi:

I don't know about THAT, now...I suppose it depends on your definition
of "sexist," which unfortunately in many cases means normal heterosexual
behavior. Like sexual harrassment, the boundaries are far too undefined
at the moment to be taken seriously. I don't see why one must ignore the
honest differences between men and women or suffer to be branded a
"sexist."

> "And this is why ‘Quadrophenia’ is going to be the last album of this type.

Brian:

Now THAT is a depressing statement! It was the last, too.

>  I found it very, very hypocritical to write a song like ‘Doctor Jimmy.’
> I’m not different from the way I was when I was young — I feel all the same
> things — but I was sort of writing about somebody else.

In that anyone who is upset with someone else is likely to react with
the difference between that person and themselves...whether the person
is a woman or you-name-it...doesn't this "sexist" lyric really come down
to Pete being an excellent writer? Real life! Maybe it was shocking to
some because it was in fact so realistic, and most songwriters didn't
dare.

> "Like the part where he says, ‘What is it, I’ll take it.  Who is she, I’ll
> rape it.’  That’s really the way I see Keith Moon in his most bravado sort
> of states of mind.

Perhaps said in jest, but never seriously. It's sad that such a jest in
today's political climate is considered offensive. Keith would have had
a hard time with it, I'm sure. Would Moon be a considered a lovable
scamp in the `90's, or instead a reactionary?

> Writing something that put women down was seen
> as a way of being non-commercial or alternative since everything
> then was treacly love songs.

An extremely valid point, when one considers most early British invasion
music was the wimpiest sort of sentiment ever expressed. One need only
take a quick listen to the (excellent) Rhino British Rock series for
proof.

--

            Cheers                ML