Re: Enlightened Who fans

> You expect enlightened attitudes from Who fans?

Yellow:

Of course. The "great unwashed masses" aka Joe and Joan Six-Pack aren't
going to "get" The Who. I DO expect an enlightened attitude out of
intelligent people. Was I wrong to consider you intelligent?

> But some of the
> most thoroughly unpleasant people I've ever encountered were also Who
> fans, which just goes to show that excellent taste in music doesn't
> make you a good person.

I personally have found the vast majority of Who fans I've met to be
completely pleasant and intelligent people. I'm sorry you haven't had
the same experience. I do think you've been unlucky and met the
minority, since at this point I've met more than 100 and have a fairly
good basis for my conclusion. But maybe it's just the ones in your area.
MAYBE if you were a Stern fan you'd find them less unpleasant? Just a
suggestion...

> Oh, and I stand by all my comments about Howard Stern.  I have never
> found him the slightest bit amusing, and since it is his job to be
> amusing I consider him a complete waste.

You are welcome to stand by your comments and opinions, and I am welcome
to find you doing exactly what you say you hate Stern doing...that is,
abusing someone else. Namely Stern himself. It's not the slightest bit
amusing, but it is interesting.
And Stern is amusing, when he abuses people. At least to millions of
people. I've been a Who fan a LOT longer than you could have possibly,
and I thought the song was very funny.
The fact remains, as any who heard the broadcast can confirm, Howard
Stern was quoting lyrics written for him and not abusing Pete Townshend.
I would think, enlightened or not, no one should attack him for
something he didn't do.

> You are welcome to disagree, but don't accuse me
> of being unenlightened just because I don't share your views.

I did not accuse you of a single thing, just stated this was not the
sort of enlightened etc. Perhaps I DO expect more out of Who
fans...shouldn't I? They/we/everyone SHOULD try to live up to a higher
standard, rather than cry "Not ME!" Don't you think?

> whoever wrote that if you don't like Stern you should ignore him is RIGHT ON.

Christy:

Thanks. Of course, it could only come from someone who likes Stern.

> You have now.  I have *never* liked those lines, and in fact, used them
> (and the following line, "Who is it? I'll rape it") as part of a report on
> "Sexism
> In Rock Music" that I cowrote with two friends back in 1984.  (Don't think
> there were any other Who lyrics....)

Carolyn:

What about "How come the girls come on oh so cool/But when you meet
them, every one's a fool..."? I would imagine that one to be offensive
to some women, at least...

--

            Cheers                ML