Two very different Chicago shows in one week's time

I'll keep my comments brief, as other people have posted much more
extensive reviews of JAE's tour with his own band and RD's tour with the
British Rock Symphony.  Although Roger's voice and stage presence are as
astonishing as ever, I'd have to vote for John's show as being the most
soul-stirring (and not just because I was photographed in his arms
afterwards!).  JAE's show had the advantage of showcasing his own music
with the backup efforts of a small, energetic rock band.  RD's show
included Who numbers, as well as a variety of other FM rock classics,
with a large backing orchestra, vocal ensemble, and soloists.  Although
I applaud Roger's efforts to bring his amazing musical talent to a much
broader audience, there were times during the show when I wondered
whether I was watching a tribute or a parody (the effect of a few too
many  Beatles medleys, I think).  Now, I am NOT trashing Roger's work
with the BRS!  I fully admit that, as a long-time Who fan, I enjoy
performances that most closely resemble Who concerts.  I am certainly
biased in favor of shows that approach the energy and intensity that
characterize a genuine Who set.  From that perspective, the Ox
completely conquered me.  But, nonetheless, Roger was incredible as
well:  I defy anyone to hear him wailing, "Ooooh, I need somebody to
love!" without having a near-fatal goosebump attack.  My advice?  Go see
shows from both tours, support the musicians, and decide for yourself
which approach you prefer!

(Thanks to Pam and Rich for transportation, as they know that driving in
the Chicago area terrifies me.  It was also great to see many familiar
faces, as well as meet new ones such as those belonging to Keri, Janet,
and Deb!  If I've forgotten to mention anyone, please forgive me.)

--Cheryl, sleep-deprived but happy