Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V5 #7

Hello everyone.  I just wanted to echo the sentiments of some of our members
on this list.  I too think it is great that The Who are still reaching a young
audience.  I am 23 now and I first discovered them when I was 13.  I listen to
a lot of music, and I have yet to find a band that affects me the way The Who
does.   I have always felt there was something going on in their music that
eludes most bands.  Very few song writers can be considered on par with Pete.
Also, I noticed some inquries about a Woodstock video.  I have one that I
picked up last year that is about 45 minutes long.  It is in black and white
and only one camera angle.  The picture breaks up here and there, but it is
still worth having in the collection.  The thing that I find disappointing
though is the fact the there is an edit where Pete bashes Abbie Hoffman.  The
picture comes back just as Pete says "I can dig it."  Another video worth
finding is from Tanglewood MA, 1970.  "Heaven and Hell," "I can't explein,"
and "Water," all wound up on the 30 years collection a couple of years ago.  I
first found this show in black and white with a really grainy picture.  I
found it again in color and the picture was a little better.  Something else
of interest is the bootleg for the Rock n' Roll Circus.  Though it has been
officially released, and in color, the bootleg has more stuff on it.  Some of
the most noticable differences are that the sound (I think) is better on the
bootleg.  Mostly because there is a really cool reverb running through out it
that the official version somehow lost.  Compare especially the a capella
opening of "A Quick One."  The echo on the bootleg is cavernous.   It sounds
really good too when Mick does the ad lib on "Sympathy for the Devil."   For
some reason though, someone chose to add some studio effects to this part on
the official version.  Also, the supergroup performances with Lennon are
different.  On the bootleg, he stumbles through one of the lines in "Yer
Blues."  Happy hunting everyone!

Mike L.