Ethan Russel sez Quad photo analysis wrong!

Some of you may remember the following from last summer, talking about the
photos in the Quad booklet:

>>Date: Sat, 12 Jul 1997 09:25:28 -0400 (EDT)
>>From: JB2TheWho@aol.com
>>
>>The image is of one of the photographs included on that booklet that was
>>included in all the original "QUAD" Lp - "vinyl" records,[snip]  In the
>>picture, he clearly has just seen his idols (mine too) coming out of the
>>theatre unexpectly, and he was hastily dismounted his GS Scooter to humbly
>>look on in awe, and get this, on ONE BENDED KNEE.

and my enthusiastic response:

>JB2TheWho (John, I believe), this is a great observation!  I simply can't
>>remember whether I never noticed this, or skimmed over it in the times I
>looked >at that picture (I was possibly too focused on the band to pay
>enough attention >to Jimmy).  I mean, sure, I noticed Jimmy was in the
>picture, but I just went >with the simple interpretation that his bike was
>broken down outside the venue >when the band happend to exit.  (In this I
>differ from John's interpretation >that he saw the band and dismounted
>just to kneel.)  With John's observation, I >am simultaneously amazed at
>the artistry of the photographer in composing this >shot and John's
>astuteness in understanding it.  I believe the photographer >(Ethan
>Russell and PT are credited with the inside photography) thought up the
>>master stroke of taking a piece of the bike off so that Jimmy plausibly
>appears >to be repairing his bike, thus there is a _reason_ to put him in
>this classic >pose of extreme respect.  And to those who live in the UK or
>other countries >where the citizens owe obedience to a monarch the pose
>would be all the more >striking.

Well get this, which I received yesterday:

>Hi Alan...
>
>Well, the answer to your question is no, I didn't intend him to be kneeling in
>front of his heroes and, yes, the apparent logic is that he's fixing his bike.
>But I think your perception (or whoever's it was) adds the kind of depth to a
>piece of work that viewers often do, so I'm quite happy with it.  You're
>welcome to post this, if you want.
>
>Ethan Russell

So there you have it.  I'm disappointed that this was not a deliberate
composition on Ethan's part, but oh well, I guess serendipity will have to
do as an explanation.  FWIW, he indicated interest in the list, so perhaps
(hopefully) we'll have him as a reader sometime soon.

Alan

"Never never hesitate, communicate, communicate..." --Pete Townshend