Re: Guitar Poll

>From: N S Boyer <N.S.Boyer@m.cc.utah.edu>
>
>This is something I forgot to mention when I first started the poll.  I
>think it is very interesting how pete took one simple three chord
>progression A G D, and uses it all the time but still manages to make it
>sound interesting every time...Just curious to see what all
>of you think.

I tell people that Pete elevated three-chord rock into an art form.  Of
course, there's a lot more to be said than that, but I was amazed to
discover, when I started playing guitar, how many of the songs I loved
could be played along with (as opposed to played), with basic I IV V
chords.  Happily for us all, Pete combined the POWER chord of I IV V with
brilliant embellishments (to just grab an example out of hundreds, the
intro to Pinball Wizard) and as a lister in the misty past mentioned, one
of the best bridge-writing abilities in all of rock.

That's also one reason he can merge one song into another so easily when he
feels like it, like playing bits of PW in the middle of WGFA in the Quad
encores, or starting off with the intro to WGFA leading into My Generation
(at HOB Chicago), or Bargain segueing into The Seeker and back again (also
HOB), etc., etc.

Alan

"Never never hesitate, communicate, communicate..." --Pete Townshend