Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V5 #29

A recent remark:

>I hate Roger. Even though The Who have been my favorite band for years
>and the years and many do agree that The Who's weakest link was the sometimes
>off-key singer.

Are you out of your mind???  How can the Who *possibly* be your "favorite
band for years" when you think the "off-key" lead singer is the "weakest
link"???  Now, I'll admit my bias here -- Roger's always been my favourite
member of the band (I suppose it was hearing/watching the awe-inspiring
live version of Won't Get Fooled Again from The Kids Are Alright back in
1979 that did it) -- but could you imagine anyone *else* as the singer?
Pete may be the creative soul behind the band, but make no mistake -- Roger
is the heart of the band.  They built a career on angst; while Townshend's
vocals make a beautiful counterpoint to Daltrey's, there's no voice in all
of rock better suited to delivering that material.  Look at it this way --
the band (PT, JE, KM & KJ) pummel you with their sonic assault, get you up
against the ropes; and then along comes the Daltrey who, with one
powerhouse wail, doesn't just knock you out, but knocks you out the f-ing
ring!

Amen to that.