Re: Who likes Who

Actually, these lists might be great to keep and check out.  There are
the old classic standbys, but I also see a number of other bands/artists
on them that I've somewhat noticed.  I heard a Portishead song that I
really liked over Thanksgiving weekend--first notice I'd taken of them.
Last weekend (thru DJ at holiday party) I actually heard Madonna really
sing--she's never been one of my favorite artists--thin voice and all
that--but maybe I should check her out for more obscure stuff.

keets

>From: "Rene Bos" <renebos@prodigy.net>
>To: <TheWho@igtc.com>
>Subject: Who likes Who
>Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 22:11:56 -0600
>
>hello again,
>
>I'm pleasantly surprised by the responses - that is in terms of
enthusiasm.
>As I more or less suspected most people on this list seem to like "the
>better" "classic rock"; few artists/groups I dislike being mentioned,
but
>also hardly any I do go wild about; and wow, what a difference with the
>other 3 lists I'm on!!! (Cave/Hammmill/Siouxsie).
>From what I've seen so far, I think only Bowie and King Crimson would
be
>mentioned there; and maybe Sex Pistols on the Cave list, though Johnnie
>Rotten was just as much inspired by The Who as he himself said he was
by
>Peter Hammill's (sorry) "punk-avant-la-lettre" album "Nadir".
>One general difference might be that Who-fans don't seem to have a
problem
>with liking "major / popular artists", possibly because The Who
themselves
>were/are "pretty big". I admit that I too suffered a long time from the
"if
>it's popular, it can't be good" syndrome; that's why it took me a while
>discover e.g. Bowie (well Bowie before Let's Dance) and Kate Bush. And
boy,
>it took me 20 years to admit I actually liked a couple of Stones songs
:-)
>I'm sure most of you will consider Peter Hammill -Peter Who? :-)  -and
even
>Nick Cave, though he plays 3000 venue's nowadays- as a "cult" artist;
but
>I'm still glad he's just that, and plays ~300 venues. I mean wouldn't
you
>all prefer to see The Who playing in a 300 venue? I only saw the Who at
>8000+ venues and hated it; the crowd that is. (of course nowadays
seeing The
>Who at any place would be fine, right :-)
>
>As most of you list 10, whereas only mentioned 5 other faves I feel I
can
>add that besides The Who and
>
>Peter Hammill, Nick Cave, Nick Drake, Siouxsie, Scott Walker, Jacques
Brel

>I like
>
>Martha&Muffins, David Bowie, Tom Waits, Kate Bush, Leonard Cohen, Gavin
>Friday, Godley&Creme, 16 HP, PJ Harvey, King Crimson, Yes, Portishead,
The