Historic footnote

For those keeping track:

I ran across a CD the other day called: JIMMY'S BACK PAGES by Jimmy Page
(released in 1992 by Sony), which features 22 songs on which he did
studio work. It's only interesting to me because the first track is the
Who song Circles by a band called Les Fleur De Lys, a fairly decent
version but nothing incredible. According to the liner notes, they were
on the Immediate label (owned by Stones manager Andrew Loog Oldham). As
the story goes, in November of 1965 Pete Townshend was asked to review
their first single (the Page-produced Moondreams) in Melody Maker's
Blind Date column. Townshend guessed it was Peter & Gordon. Angered when
he found out who it actually was, he said: "Well, apologies to Andy
Oldham and Jimmy, but I think it's crap." Circles, released March 1966,
was their second single.

--

                      Cheers                ML