PT weekly quote #12

One night I banged the guitar on the ceiling.  It was fantastic visually,
with my legs spread and everything.  In the second set I banged it on the
ceiling again and it broke.  There were a few laughs, mainly negative
reaction.  So I carried on and smashed it to bits. It gave me a fantastic
buzz.  The audience really liked it and I started to do it as part of the
act.  Now it has become a rather artificial finish ... We want to get out
of car accidents and into music.

 -- Pete Townshend, on the origin of smashing his guitar, 1968 (quoted in
_Rock Talk_ by Joe & John J Kohut, Faber & Faber: Boston, London, 1994, p.
163-4).

Alan
Be sure to read _McKendree: A Burning Novel of Murder and Revenge_
by Douglas Hirt, ISBN 0-8439-4184-7  (available at www.amazon.com)