Re: Cutouts

 No, the bootleg Who records are different then cutouts.
I was visiting a friend who was working in a record
store back in the eighties. I was browsing thru the
cut outs and came across some Who tapes
that were obviously bootlegs of legitimate Who releases
(like Who's Next). I could tell they were bootlegs
because there was glare on the cover picture so it
was obvious someone had just taken a picture of
the cover and then had it printed for the insert.
I asked my friend about them and he asked the manager
and was told that they had gotten them from
the MCA distributer so "they couldn't possibly be bootlegs".
When the bootlegging story hit the news, it explained everything.
 It turns out that the distributer had
sold bootleg product that had been confiscated by
police and turned into MCA for distruction.
So if you see glare in the cover photo, and the tape
case doesnt have an embossed MCA logo, its probally
a boot. As far as I know, it was only cassettes that
were the issue.