Re: Pete on Letterman

BW Radley wrote:

>Roger agrees to go on tour with a bunch of young musicians,
including a fair
>number of inner city kids, who otherwise would not have had the
chance to
>experience traveling across the country, and being able to perform
in front
>of appreciative audencies, and PERHAPS, get the idea that there
might be
>something more to life than can be found outside the narrow confines
of the
>ghetto.
>Part of the proceeds of the tour is to go to a program to revitalize
school
>music programs, something that is all too often one of the first
victims of
>shortsighted budgetcutting schoolboards.
<snip>
>And the reason why Pete decides to go on a mini-tour?????  (or
should it be
>$$$$)

Mr. Radley, as much as I have enjoyed your previous posts, I must
disagree with this one.  I think it is unfair to imply that Pete's
sole reason for touring are the vast piles of money he's making,
while Roger is out there doing it for the kids.  The Chicago show in
Pete's mini-tour was a benefit for Maryville Academy, which I would
call at least as noble a cause as Preserve the Music.  Pete has also
both donated to and raised money for any number of charities - too
many for me to list here.  Just the other day a local newspaper made
mention of Pete's many contributions to charity, and contrasted him
with Mick Jagger, who is far wealthier but apparently has not done
anything for charity at all with his money.  Pete is no saint, but he
cannot be accused of refusing to use his money to help other people.
I strongly suspect that he may have done even more in this respect
than Roger.

-Yellow "Ka-ching!" Ledbetter