Re: Beachcombers

I wrote:

>>Regarding Keith's pre-Who
>>activities, a couple sources (e.g., Richard Barnes) state fairly clearly
>>that the Beachcombers were Keith's only previous band.  Yet on page 18 in
>>the July 1997 issue of Record Collector, an old reprint says he was in a
>>band called the Altones before joining the Beachcombers.  Brian, do you know
>>if Fletcher's book mentions this other band?

And Brian kindly replied:

>Fletcher's book lists Keith's only group prior to The Beachcombers as The
>Escorts.  I don't see anything about the Altones.

Well, at least the book acknowledges that the Beachombers weren't his only
pre-Who band, something that I don't recall seeing in any Who biography (I
don't own Ivan Waterman's 1979 Moon bio but I know someone who does; I'll
have to take a look at it).

>Here's what the book says about Keith recording with the Beachcombers:
>
>"He never even got to release a record:  hell, they only went into a studio
>once, and that in a dingy basement beneth a keyboard shop in North Harrow to
>make a tape of a few cover versions ('Poison Ivy' and 'I'm a Hog For You
Baby' >among them) that has long since disappeared."

>Other than that, it says that before Keith joined they had not made any
>records at all, but doesn't say if they made any records afterwards.

Thanks very much for the info!

Bogie