Quad Tour "Drowned" not PC

I've been reading the list for months and enjoy all that I have read
thanks!  I saw Quad on VH1 (Hyde Park '96), heard it on the Radio in MSG '96,
saw it in Philly at the CoreStates Center in Nov. '96, and at the Camden
E-Center in 1997.  I'm a huge who and Quad fan.   The versions of drowned
from Hyde Park and MSG, continue to haunt me.  They show Pete at his very
best, lyrically, musically, and emotionally.   In the Philly and Camden
shows that I saw live, I was disappointed that he added the lyrics "... but
I don't want to die.  I don't want do die..." during the chorus "I want to
drown."

Was Pete advised to do this so that it is politically correct?   How does
everyone feel about artists changing the lyrics to suit the times.

This offence is hardly on the same scale as Lou Reed removing "... and the
colored girls go ..." on his live appearance on the Arsenio Hall show the
night of the L.A. riots, but it does beg the question as to the motivation
of this practice.

The reason the Who have never been given the mainstream credit like the
Beatles and the Stones is because of their irreverence.  They are not the
sucking up type.  Why would a band that freely uses the word "f***" (which
I personally reserve the right to bellow at special occasions) in their
songs and in their interviews care about "promoting suicide" in a song lyric?

"Drowned" and "I'm One" will remain two of my favorites, especially the
unplugged versions.

Regards.

Joe