Odds & Sods / MAWTSH / SaturdayNight

Hi y'all,

As Heinrich Heine once said, Holland is the safest place to be. Whatever
happens to the world, over there everything will happen at least 50
years later.
Well, Heinrich, times HAVE changed, but I must admit I bought myself a
copy of the new edition of Odds & Sods only last week.

I don't know if we should be too critical about this release, as some of
you have been. Although there could have been other tracks on here and
although there are some misses in the liner notes - as so expertly
pointed out by the very indispensible Brian Cady - this is great stuff
from beginning to end, all 77 minutes of it.
I was especially baffled by the 1968 and early 70s tracks (FISB, Glow
Girl, Naked Eye, etc.) that seem to sound more crisp than ever.
Also, I just can't understand why a track as powerful - zooming bass and
all - as I'm the Face didn't make the charts in 1964. Surely this was a
match for the records that the Stones, the Animals and - dare I say -
the Beatles were releasing at the time?? Anyone on that?

All I do know, is that the original vinyl release in Holland
(TRACK/Polydor 2410 202) was a blatant rip-off. No die-cut sleeve, no
poster, no lyric sheet, no PT liner notes, no braille-set song titles
(they even forgot to black out the announcement of that, just above the
label info on the back cover!). And this was a 1st release, which went
into my logs on Oct 15th 1974. It cost the Dutch Who-fan at least $8 at
the time. I don't think single LP's where much over $6 in the US at the
time.....

BTW , Brian C: could you please clarify once more what version of MAWTSH
in your opinion is on what CD. I think there are 3 versions in all, two
of them with Al Kooper on organ. So, which is which?

Finally: does anyone know of a DJ-only, 1-track CD with the Who's
version of Elton's Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting? It was
supposedly put out as a promo for the EJ/BT tribute album Two Rooms. I
have been offered a copy of this but I doubt authenticity. Anyone?
Value?
Thanks.

Have a nice day,

hans.