Re: John's Bass Guitar

Beau McCrury wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Back in November when The JEB played The HOB I noticed John playing what
> seemed to me a rather interesting bass.  There were a couple of times
> that he put it down and it was then that I noticed small red lights on
> the side of the neck, no doubt so he could tell where the frets are when
> the lights are turned down.  I have never noticed this before, on ANY
> guitar.  I suspect that this is another incarnation of John's custom
> basses.  I was wondering if anyone could expand any on this information?
> I remember about ten or fifteen years back hearing that John was playing
> a bass where the body was one type and the neck was from another.  I'm not
> a bass player myself but I wouldn't, if need be, mind a little of the
> technical stuff if that's what if takes to explain what his bass is all
> about.  Just curious.
>
> Happy good friday,
> Beau (and his invisible friend, Harvey) McCrury

   Hi, I'm new to the list and I'm a 14 year old male from Buffalo, New
York who plays bass. I'm not completely sure, but it is more than likely
that John would have been playing his custom built Alembic. He had 3
basses made for him ,all of them the same shape but with different
features, back in the 70's. Alembic offers an abundance of features on
their guitars and basses and LED fret lights are one of them. I also
know that there is a kit they sell I saw once in a magazine where you
can install lights similar to those yourself. But I am pretty sure it
was the Alembic.
                                          A young Who fan,
                                    Ken "Lil' Ox" Wierzbowski