Re: More on Pete smashing his guitar/amp

Alan McKendree wrote:

>FWIW, I too had read that it was Pete's guitar, not amp, that he
smashed.
>My God, a new generation of fans are reading current interviews and
>believing a different load of shite from the load the older fans
read and
>believe...

Would this be an example of what they call the generation gap?  And
does it mean that MY generation gets to be called Generation Amp?  I
rather like the sound of that.  Far better than "Generation X"...who
wants their generation to be named after Billy Idol's old band?

>You're right, Brian, we need to go to the source, somebody ask Pete
and let
>him go for 2 out of 3, or John.

Better yet, let's ask Grandma Dennis!  I'm sure she'll remember
whether it was a guitar or an amp that her horrid little grandson
threw at her head.  Even a woman of questionable sanity is unlikely
to forget something like that.

Bruce wrote:

>I haven't been following this thread closely but are we talking
about the guitar
>given to him by his grandmother that he smashed?  If so Pete has
answered as he
>is source of this story.

He's also the source of the amp story, which is what makes this whole
thing such a mystery.  For anyone who hasn't been paying close
attention, the amp story is identical to the guitar story except that
it involves (surprise!) an amp.  A possible explanation: Pete threw
both his guitar AND his amp at Grandmummy Dearest.  Another possible
explanation: Pete's memory is full of holes, thanks to his well-known
problems with substance abuse.  Possible explanation number three:
Pete is a big fat liar who wouldn't know the truth if it bit him on
the nose.  I personally would cast my vote for theory #2, but who
knows.

<snip>
>While living with his grandmother Pete and John were playing and
Grandma didn't like the
>racket they were causing and told them to stop.  They didn't and
tempers flared.
>Pete then smashed the guitar as John looked on in shock.  Pete
related they were
>about 13 or 14 years old at the time.

Minor correction, for anyone trying to keep track of Pete's
biographical information - Pete lived with his maternal grandmother
when he was a very little boy, more like 4 than 14.  That same
grandmother moved in with the Townshend family when Pete was a teen
to help Pete's mum take care of her new babies, Paul and Simon.  It
was during this period that Pete allegedly threw a guitar, or an amp,
or whatever piece of musical equipment he decides it was next, at
Granny.

><snip>
>How an amp got into this is beyond me.

Ask Pete. :)

-Yellow "Arsenic and Old Lace" Ledbetter