Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V4 #246

At 14:53 9/28/97, The Who Mailing List Digest wrote:
>Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 04:55:38 PDT
>From: "Lucas Bleicher" <bleicher@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Thewho.com
>
>Gary L wrote:
>>Forget about thewho.com - it's *never* going to return.........
>
>Why?

The organizer was trying to get it operating as an official site, including
selling tour merchandise, sanctioned by Trinifold, in time for the
beginning of the US '97 tour (mid-July) with very little lead time.  There
just wasn't time to get all the companies involved in merchandising and
management to agree on arrangements, plus put up a good site with
non-commercial Who material, by the time the tour started.  I don't think
it's impossible that something under the name thewho.com might eventually
appear, but not in the form originally envisioned, or even necessarily with
the same people involved.  For one thing, marketing Who merchandise on the
Web apparently is not a step Trinifold is  willing to take without a lot of
thought.

>Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 11:15:56 -0400 (EDT)
>From: DTABNER@aol.com
>Subject: Who/Stones
>
>When they toured with Voodoo Lounge my wife wanted to go.  I agreed, mainly
>just so I could say I saw the Stones.  Even though I walked into the stadium
>feeling very cynical, they blew me away.  I discovered in one night what I'd
>been missing for the last 15 years.

I knew what I'd been missing, 'cos I saw them in '75, but I saw Voodoo '94
and had a great time, even though my seat was for shit.

> At a time when Hanson and the Spice Girls
>are tearing up the charts, I think that fans of the Who and the Stones should
>be closing the ranks and banding together rather than snipe at each other

Imagine my amazement when I found out that the song I'd been hearing (and
liking) on the radio was Hanson's MMBop!  Um..perhaps we could all band
together against...mm...uh...the Great Satan Michael Bolton?

>Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 16:29:30 -0500
>From: Cheryl <otter@execpc.com>
>
>...while I was staying at my sister-in-law's cattle ranch in Oregon week
>before last, I read a newspaper article about "The Devil Glitch", a
>69-minute song written by Chris Butler.  It takes up an entire CD with
>more than 500 verses, one of which runs as follows:
>
>"Sometimes you can fix something by just playing pinball/Though 'Tommy'
>is such a stupid album..."
>
>Has anyone heard this yet?

Can't say I have, or would be particularly interested to, either, after
this initial report.  People who take potshots at Pete/The Who in songs go
quickly to a special rung of my shitlist.  That's how John ("Perfectly Good
Guitar") Hiatt got there.

Alan

"The Rolling Stones are the Microsoft of rock." --James Sethian