The Upcoming Stones' Tour..., thanks for trying to help about a Bealtes List, and a set list for the Who...

In regards to the recent remarks about the upcoming Rolling Stones' Tour, I
would have to say that I pretty much agree with Kathleen.  The Stones's
Tour is very publicized because that is what the Stones wanted to do.  In a
way, it really is quite sad that they feel the only way they can sell out a
concert is by constantly giving lip service to the press.  The fact that
they have to bring a whole entourage of other popular bands as a warm up is
only all the more revealing in exposing their insecurity.

As far as their being labeled the "best R&R band ever," I would have to say
that that is such a crock of shit! (If you'll excuse the expression)  What
Howard Stern once said in an interview really is true.  He once pointed out
that he was referred to as the king of media because he declared it so
himself, and if you say something long enough, people start to take it as
fact even if there really is no tangible proof to back it up.  He then used
the Rolling Stones as an example of this.  He said that there never really
was any official way of declaring the Stones the greatest rock band, but
they became known as that because they said it so many times themselves,
that the media and the public picked up on it and just accepted it as
truth.  Thus, if you repeat something long enough, people will begin to
parrot you, and ultimately believe you.

I also think that it is really cool that the Who didn't feel the need to do
all this promotional crap.  It really shows that they have enough faith in
themselves, and their fans, to put on a show successfully without all this
extra media hype.  The fact that people care enough to make a point about
finding out about their touring schedule really shows the strong following
they have.

Finally, let's not forget the quality of each bands' performance.  I saw
the Stones' Voodoo Lounge Tour, and while I wouldn't go as far as saying
that they sucked, I would most definitely say that the Who's performance in
their recent Quad shows was a million times better.  Let's just say that
when it comes to live performances, the Who would just blow the good ole'
Stones right off the stage.  And as a side note, it's also nice that Pete,
Roger, or (god imagine this) John, don't have to resort to dancing around
the stage as a little fairy like the little red rooster Mick.  I think John
Lennon put it best when he said,"I like the Stones' bluesy stuff, and their
harder material like Honkey Tonk Woman, but I hate it when Jagger starts up
with his faggot dancing and jumps up all around the stage."  Leave it to
Lennon to tell it how it is.

I like a lot of the Stones' songs.  I have a couple of their cds, and I
think that they definitely were important contributors to rock.  If I was
offered free tickets, I would, unlike my spirited comrade Kathleen, go.
However, when you place them next to the Who-forget it!  No contest.  The
Who rule.  All you have to do is look at the Rolling Stones' Rock and Roll
Circus to prove this.  Remember, the reason that we didn't see the Who's
performance in its entirety was because the Who were so good-and the Stones
knew it!  I still say that Mick gets pea green with envy every time he
watches that incredible performance of "A Quick One."

Anyway, aside form all this, I would like to thank all of those who tried
to help me in my search for a Beatles mailing list.  Like most of you have
pointed out, there really aren't any to be found.  I appreciate your
comments all the same.  That's okay though, because I think this list is
really great, and believe that the Who deserve nothing less!

Also, before I go, I'd like to add suggestions for a set list (only time
will tell if any of us actually get to see if such an opportunity will
materialize!):

I Can't Explain
Substitute
Pictures of Lily
I'm A Boy
Magic Bus
Armenia
I Can See for Miles
A Quick One
Boris the Spider
A "Tommy" Combo (including Pinball Wizard, of course)
Goin' Mobile
Behind Blue Eyes
Bargain
I am One
Success Story
Blue, Red, and Grey
Squeeze Box
Who Are You

Encore:
My Generation
The Kids Are Alright
Baba O'Reily
Long Live Rock
Won't Get Fooled Again

Gee, I don't ask for too much, do I?  I'd be happy with half of what I
mentioned as long as I could see them again!

Cheers,

Jennifer Fox