Re: Ringo vs. Zak

Mike,

In the Who Digest V4 #228 (hey, that's this one!) you wrote:

>The drumtrack on RAIN contains the best Moon
impression since Mitch Mitchell.<

Amen.  And steering back toward the Who, I remember that
McCartney said in an interview around that time that Dylan and
the Who were the Beatles' greatest influences.  (With a bit
of Beach Boys harmony on the chorus...)  The Who sound really
predominates in "Rain" and "Paperback Writer".  Loud bass riffs,
great drumming, weird guitar riffs.  You gotta love it. <g>

>I think Ringo was a decent drummer at best during the PLEASE PLEASE ME t=
RUBBER SOUL period, but then really started to blossom, especially during=

the
LET IT BE years. A big part of that could have been McCartney, as he trie=
be a musical arranger for many of the Beatles' songs. He might have, let'=
say, stifled him a bit. Ringo never showed his true talent in those early=

years, but Zak, on the other hand, is showing off everything he's got.<

Good point re McCartney and Ringo.  I also think Ringo didn't challenge
himself much until the Beatles started to really reinvent their sound in
the studio.  Zak--well, he may outdo Ringo *technically*, but I still thi=
nk
Ringo has more individuality.

BTW, I guess you saw that IWHYH *wasn't* in TKAA--I was referring
to an outtake that I've never seen or heard.  But maybe someday.

- --Carolyn