Re: more about "1921"

Mark:
>Still, you may be correct (have you seen or read anything about
>this?)...

I know I have, but I can't remember where or who said it!

>since even in the original story, Sally Simpson married "a Rock
>musician she met in California." For this to happen, assuming Tommy
is
>at least 3 years old in 1921 (in order to understand what he saw)
and
>we're talking about the earliest possible Rock musician (about 1956),

>Tommy would have been a "pinball messiah" at age 38. Possible, but
it
>complicates matters. Tommy's parents would have been about 60, and
is it
>likely they've been trying (without success) to "awaken" Tommy for
35
>years? And just now finally getting him to a doctor who can cure
the
>boy? "BOY," did I hear him say? And wasn't it the Pinball Wizard
who
>called Tommy a "deaf dumb and blind kid?"

You're forgetting what seems to me the most obvious example of some
confusion in the timeline..."Acid Queen".  She refers to Tommy as
young (a "boy" in fact), and says that after she's done with him he
will no longer be a child.  I think it's safe to assume that the dear
lad was no older than 20 at that point in the storyline.  However, if
Tommy must have been at least three or four during "1921", then this
would place "Acid Queen" no later than 1937.  LSD wasn't even
invented until 1938, and its hallucinatory effects weren't discovered
until 1943.  If I remember "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" properly,
 then no one was using LSD for "recreational" purposes until about
1964.

>So some clarification certainly was in order...

Yes, very much so!

Andrew:
>>For this to happen, assuming Tommy is
>>at least 3 years old in 1921 (in order to understand what he saw)

You attributed this to me, when in fact Mark Leaman (see above) wrote
it.  Watch it, I don't want people to think I'm falsely taking credit
for his work!

>Ok I really don't understand this in Amazing Journey which is right

>after 1921 they say Tommy is 10. Think about born in 1911 became 10
in
>1921!!!!!!!

While "Amazing Journey" is the next song after "1921", it isn't made
clear on the album exactly how much time elapsed between the two
songs.  It could have been several years or almost no time at all.
Most people accept the former as being more likely.  The lyrics of
"1921" do not state how old Tommy is at that time, but if we accept
"1921" as taking place in the year 1921 then Captain Walker must have
been presumed dead during World War I.  Since Tommy was still in
utero when his father went missing, and World War I lasted from 1914
to 1918, then in 1921 Tommy would have been between three and seven
years old.

Of course, as I have shown above, it seems unlikely that "1921" could
actually have taken place in 1921.

I hope Pete enjoys messing with our minds, because it would be a pity
for him not to like something he does so often.