Who Maximum BBC Bootleg

1) Chris Charlesworth says in his Max R&B (4 CD BOX) notes that the BBC
obstructed access to the Who's BBC material.

2) BBC (in various guises) of course - Clive Selwood etc. - have always,
consistently, said - since at least 1989 -  that Who, Stones & Zep all showed
no interest whatsoever when they (BBC) approached them.  Repeatedly. I
believe Clive.

3) Everyone (in smaller bands) whose material WAS released on Strange Fruit
label
(John Peel Sessions etc.) had to RE-SIGN the contractual data last year.
Something was obviously afoot, prob. with the Big Boys.

The BBC as an organ is under pressure to maximise its assets.

Best way to do this would be to SELL (or lease) the Major Bands BBC sessions,

for release by the respective MAJOR LABEL.

4) The first evidence appears.

Now East West announce the appearance of Zeppelin's BBC sessions  - on
ATLANTIC.

5) Max BBC Who bootleg material to follow sometime within 18 months - as an
official Polygram release ?

6) Remastering v. Remixing

GENERALLY the tapes exist only as 1/4 inch mixes  -  which means that while
they can be remastered for CD (I've done it mself) they can't be remixed.
Praise God.

First 6 Who BBC sessions (Saturday Club, Joe Loss etc.) are safe.
After that, The Who - certainly from the 10.10.67 session -  Pictures of
Lily, Summertime Blues, Miles, Cant Reach Ya, Our Love Was, shunned the BBC
Maida Vale studios & (illicitly) used De Lane Lea - which means that 8 (or 16
???) track masters may exist. Stereo.

In other words Astly & Co. COULD impose a '"90's"  REMIX on them  ( as
opposed to plain remaster). Which would mean that the Bootleg was still
essential as the only source of the -genuine- material  -  rather than
ghastly updates .....

7) You pays your money & takes your choice of which way you gets screwed.
(Or better still you pay TWICE)

Love

JP