Whose jingles

>From: c641069@showme.missouri.edu
>Subject: Re: The Who Sold Out!

>I too saw this commercial.  I stopped myself from getting too upset.  I do
>think that 'I Can See for Miles' was used a long time ago for something.
>And I've seen a terrible non-who version of 'Who Are You' in some clip
>from an advertising class of mine.

The use of "Who Are You" is new to me, but I can tell you that "I Can See
For Miles" became something like You Can Drive For Miles as a jingle for one
of those quick-lube oil change businesses.  And let's not forget Michelob's
use of the actual Daltrey "Move Better In The Night".  And Ex-Lax's use of
the line "This is my constipation, baby".

(That last sentence is loosely based on an old Saturday Night Live
commercial.  Come to think of it, Ex-Lax could also use "Move Better In The
Night"!!).

I think it was in the July '89 issue of Musician where Pete rationalized the
use of such songs by complaining that so many of his songs were never
exposed to the public on the radio, so he didn't care too much about making
money off the ones that WERE recognizable and thus useful in jingles.  But I
also seem to recall that he had at least once refused to let a song be used
in ads (probably My Gen).

Rich