various replies/reactions to Digest #260

Here are some responses and reactions to several messages posted in Digest #260:

>Subject: Recordings of Pete and Simon's parents
>
>I was wondering if there are any recordings of either of
>Pete or Simon's parents when they were doing there big-band
>thing?  I thought it would be a little fun to hear old
>Cliff playing his sax or there mum crooning a tune or two.
>I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who might have any ideas on this.
>Thanx,
>Beau 'The Seeker' McCrury

By happy coincidence, my very good Who friend Bill Bedzyk just e-mailed me
about Cliff's recording career.  He
reminded me of the ad on page 12 in Richard Barnes's The Who--Maximum R&B,
which has a picture of Cliff "Townsend" and it promotes "his singing Selmer
saxophone in Unchained Melody (from film 'Unchained')."  The B-side is
apparently called Celeste, and the record number is DB3630 (78) so it would
seem to be one of those 78 RPM disks, not a 45.  There's a big "Columbia
Records" logo at the bottom of the ad.

Bill also mentioned his aquisistion of a Cliff T. promo 45 (with his last
name also misspelled?), Song For Sweethearts.  Many months ago I recall some
Who fan saying that Cliff's only recordings were as a member of the
Squadronaires, but here's proof of two solo releases, and there may be more
(especially on 78s).

>From: danabt@ix.netcom.com
>Subject: Who "Time" magazine article
>
>Hi all. I'm a pretty happy person right now because my dear friend from
Chicago sent me the issue of "Time" >from 1979 which had a great article on
The 'Oo...

Speaking of "dear friend(s) from Chicago", that's where a friend of mine
said he stumbled across one of the "Long Live Rock" picture disk 45s at a
good price, but he went to so many stores that he couldn't recall which one
he'd seen this in.  If there's a Who fan in Chicagoland (my old hometown)
who isn't particularly interested in this item but could tell me where I
might find it there, I would greatly appreciate it.

>From: Bill Lukas <drjimmy@htp.net>
>Subject: Moon + Zep
>
>Was there ever a cd released with Moon or any other Who members playing
>with Zepplin?

I seem to recall that there's a Zep bootleg on which Moon plays briefly,
maybe two or three songs.  And speaking of boots (and Chicagoland, as I just
did), did any of you attend the Hillside, Illinois record show that was
busted this past Saturday?  I showed up after the bust, and my mom said the
TV news reported 24 arrests...

>From: THEGAZZAS@aol.com
>Subject: Re: Concert file book
>
>Who fans who are unable to get a copy of the book in their local book shoop
>can get it by ordering it direct from:
>
>Omnibus Press
>Book Sales,
[snip]
>or phone giving a Visa or Mastercard Number to: 01284 702600.

Does anyone know if they have an e-mail address?  Otherwise, I assume
there's no way for us Americans to avoid making an overseas phone call.

Rich B.

(I want a new album, too!)