Keith Moon-less Who

Last night, I had the privilege of talking with Max Weinberg,
the current bandleader and comic artist on the Conan O'Brien show, but
probably best known to many as the drummer for Bruce Springsteen's
E Street Band.  He mentioned how he got the gig with Conan; he had
actually just gotten a job being the back-up drummer for Tommy on
Broadway and he went out to celebrate.

He mentioned that the drumming to Tommy was not that complex; they had
really eased it up from the original album.  I asked him what he
thought of Keith Moon and he replied that Keith was (as we all know)
incredible.  I mentioned an E Street Band reunion, and pointed out
that the Who had reformed a few times.  He said that he had seen the
Who in their first US performance; but that without Keith Moon -- lead
instrumentalist -- it WOULD NOT BE THE WHO.  One man's opinion, but one
who would know.

"Fletch, this time you goofed big. . .in the story of yours
we ran Wednesday, you have recent quotes from a man who's
been dead two years. . . ."

"At least give me a chance to check my sources."

"Like who?  Saint Peter?  You get him on the line,
I want to know."

- --Gregory McDonald, "Fletch and the Widow Bradley"
     Kevin Cherry

   kmc8827@aol.com
  00cherry@cua.edu
 kmcherry@hotmail.com