My Feeble Attempt To Reconcile The Masses

Comparisons are inevitable regarding the long histories and
the creatively prolific nature of the wave of British bands
that came ashore during the FABULOUS 60's and have
since, by virtue of their conquest,  left us some 30 plus
years later still gasping at the quality and quantity of
same. Each represented hugely divergent creative paths,
and each found massive success in expressing their version
of the art form - having all sprung from the same roots
(being the BLUES, as each would certainly report). Each of
these bands, plus a few other "mega" groups, such as Led
Zeppelin, inspired all subsequent generations of musicians,
pop culture, and influenced styles and other art forms
relevant. We each identify with the unique creative aspects
of each of these  bands, and what their message represents
to each of us - then we link ourselves to this message and it
becomes part of us, and we become fiercely defensive of it.
Having said all that, I find it very interesting indeed that
the comparison of them and their widely divergent music,
as represented of late by the "Stone's bashing", moves away
analysis and appreciation of the music itself - and focuses
on the style and delivery. It becomes clear, at least to me,
that what is actually being debated is STYLE, and not
CONTENT. I believe that it is a lost-case argument from
all sides, because art (yes, even Rock N Roll) is completely
subjective in terms of appreciation by the individual.

Complete Non-Sequitur:
If an alien race appeared in the sky above us and
commanded us to explain what Rock N Roll is - I think I
would hand them CD copies of (not in priority order):
Green Grass and High Tides - Rolling Stones
The Essential Jimi Hendrix - Jimi Hendrix
Who's Next - The Who
Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin
The White Album - Beatles
Abbey Road - Beatles
Close To The Edge - Yes
Greatest Hits - Moody Blues
Unforgettable Fire - U2
Night At The Opera - Queen
50 All Time Greatest Hits - Elvis Presley
American Prayer - Doors

Back To The Point:
OK...so can we all, as Rock N Roll fans, each as
wonderfully unique as our musical tastes and championed
by our musical heroes, GET ALONG AND PLAY
TOGETHER NICELY????

Sam
88fingers@bigfoot.com