Re: Chinese Eyes/ticket prices

On 11/27/97 19:13:58 you wrote:

>>From: Joseph <joseph9@home.com>
>>
>>	All concert tickets cost more in general than the did 10-15 years ago.
>>The ticket price range from my ticket agency for Fleetwood Mac last
>>month ranged from $85-300 smackeroos, depending on how close you wanted
>>to sit.
>
>Interesting.  The Eagles pioneered this territory, oh, 3-4 years ago when
>front-and-center tix were offered at $125 face.  If prime tix are now
>getting up to $300, it looks like bands and management are finally wising
>up and charging market prices for these tickets rather than charge $25 and
>let ticket brokers colelct the premiums.  The only explanation I've heard
>for the artificially low prices all these years is that bands & management
>didn't have the nerve to take the complaints they'd get from the fans over
>the higher prices.  But market value is market value, and if I'm going to
>pay, say, $100 for a ticket I'd much rather the artist get all of that
>money than have $70 of the $100 go to a broker.

Not me, I'd rather deal with scalpers than the box office.  Prices at the box office are set, scalpers prices change with
the market.   Here in TN scalping in all forms is legal.  This actually means I can get concert tickets for a LOT less than
face value.  In my hometown I have everything working for me.  First, there is a medium to small concert going public (i.e.
not many sellouts).  Second, the main venue is one of the largest indoor arenas in the country (25,000).  Third, there is NO
Ticketmaster here (years ago some Deadhead got caught skimming tickets and TM left town), ticketing is done by a local
outfit.

What does it mean?  In short, I can always get good tickets below face value.  In many cases WAY below face value.  Since
there is no Ticketmaster face value prices are already lower than other cities.  The $125 Eagles ticket was $85 here, they
know they can't sell them at the higher rates other cities charge.   Because there are rare sellouts (Garth Brooks and New
Kids... hold the house records) scalpers have to compete with the box office.   Haggling starts maybe $10-20 above face
value, near showtime someone who knows what there doing can get them for 25% or less of face value.  Not bad.  Example,
Elton John was here couple of weeks ago and the crowd was large by local standards, 18,000.  That's approx. 7,000 unsold
seats (Seats were sold all the way around the stage).   Face value tickets were $35, $40, and $65.  At 15m before showtime I
paid $10 for a $40 ticket (7th row first or second section on the side).  I didn't even end up sitting there, I ended up
sitting with friends third row side stage.  There was an empty row we sat in.  It turned out to be the reserved seats for
the family members of the band.  Sample ticket prices I or  friends have paid to see shows: Eagles $5 each (Face $85->),
Page Plant $10 (Face $25, one of only two non-sellouts of tour), Jimmy Buffett $10 (face $40ish->), and Eric Clapton $15
(face $45 I think).  Prince (Yea yea that's what I and his mother call him) recently played here and it was a hard ticket
(NO, I didn't even think of going) because of a lack of interest!  The attendence was approx. 6,000 and there few scalpers.
This meant the few tickets on the street were not to cheap because the scalpers had already taken a bath and were not
negotiating.  $20 was the lowest street price for $65-> tickets.

It's not just concerts either, I paid $5 to see a NBA pre-season game here.  Five days before the game they had only sold
1,500 tickets, a $5 ticket price for school children was then offered to spur ticket sales.  It worked attendence was around
5,000 (the top level was curtianed off).  A friend having teenagers paid off for me, as his teenager bought my ticket.  Then
I sat with my friend's family 9th row mid-court (who paid $30/each) in the only empty seat in the row! :)

I call that bargain, the best I ever had... (not, but that's a another story)
Bruce