Vocals & Chinese Eyes

> All true!  But, for me (very subjectively, I admit), although Roger's
> voice is consistently dynamic and expressive, Pete's is the voice that
> knocks me over every time.

Cheryl:

Since how music affects us is all subjective anyway, I'd have to say you
make THE point here...what I find in a song may be completely different
than what you see in it, however both POV's are equally legitimate.
In regard to the voices, I love Rog's for its "blood and thunder" as
well as Pete's for it's smooth, fragile bearing. The difference in their
voices is also one of the many elements which make The Who so
unique...they work very well together.
It's also worth noting PT's voice has improved quite a bit since the
early days...from Legal Matter to Going Mobile, for instance, and since
then he's honed it into an instrument as fine as Roger's. Compare WHO
CAME FIRST to WHITE CITY...what an improvement!
I'd also like to add that IMHO, Sting upon going solo found Townshend's
method of multi-tracking his voice to be very useful indeed.

>    I don't believe that the title was in any way a drug reference.

Ryan:

Heroin? I remember, way back in the early `70s, when being stoned on Pot
was called being "Chinese eyed." This is how it struck me when I heard
the title, despite the Clint Eastwood explanation. I understood the
title as having a double meaning, as with WHO'S NEXT.

- --

            Cheers                ML

 "There's a million ways to laugh/And every one's a path..."

            Pete Townshend