Re: Quad on Broadway?

I agree with Leo that Roger is right on with disliking the whole idea of the
Who/Broadway marriage. But Roger's objection is personal, selfish, yet
warranted. My agreement stops there. I have no objection. I'm the fan, not
the guy who played the character his whole life. After all, how is the Who
on Broadway any different from the Who music being performed by an orchestra
in Carnegie Hall or Albert Hall.  The music was of course originally played
by four rock n' roll musicians with  a loud aggression, not the softness of
a bunch of cellos and violins. I saw Tommy on B'way two days after it
premiered.  I had brought my ticket months before, not caring about the NY
Times review. As it turned out, the theater critics loved it and the
"typical theater goers" waited in a long lines before every show to buy a
ticket for this new smash hit written by some guy named Townshend.  With
ticket in hand, I simply strolled in.  I sat next to a lady, about sixty and
looked like Angela Landsbury, who wasn't too impressed with my occasional
singing of the lyrics. Like all Who fans, I've invested so much time
listening to Tommy, I felt that this work was mine, not Pete's, and was
proud it was being celebrated by all types of people.   I can guarantee that
the lady next to me will never buy the original Tommy album, but I'm glad
for one afternoon she at least heard a version of it..  How cool it was to
walk in Times Square and see a billboard proclaiming ,"The Who's Tommy" in
bright yellow and black lettering.  How cool would it be to see a big GS
Scooter with the words "The Who's Quadrophenia".  (right next to Andre and
Shaq's face at the ALL-Star Cafe). I know Pete could make it work, but
understand if he wants to conquer new frontiers. By the way,  after we both
gave it a standing ovation, that old lady next to me told me she loved the
story and the music. That was all we said. She went back to her "theater
crowd" and I went  back to my "rock n' roll " crowd.

Dave K.