The Who's Firsts

Since I was responsible for starting the Feedback thread (bit of mischief
really as I already knew the answer!) and so many people have got on the
who-was-first comp I figured that it got outta hand.  Although I Feel Fine
was first it actually had no impact at the time of release.  We only found
out 20 years later that that funny little sound was the same as what we we
heard on MG.
When MG first hit it was like a thunderclap!  What was this?  Are these
people nuts?  Everything about MG was so damn FIERCE!  The lyrics - still
quoted after all this time.  Only two chords but a hell of an impact.  The
first bass solo on record - & no guitar solo!  And the whole band stops to
make sure we can hear every note played at a speed most lead players of the
time could not keep up with.  No wonder John went thru 6 sets of strings!
And windmilling! And a high-jumping guitarist!  The Beatles were doing
this?  The Kinks stuck PINS in their amp (didn't invent the fuzzbox,
obviously - first used on Satisfaction) - PT stuck GUITARS in his amps!
You don't think The Who didn't revolutionise rock and roll?  Then you
weren't there!

Neil.