Re: "Tommy" trumpet

On Fri, 16 May 1997, The Who Mailing List Digest wrote:

> Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 15:14:34 -0400 (EDT)
> From: DayTriper1@aol.com
> Subject: "Tommy" trumpet
>
> Listening to my old man's vinyl version of "Tommy" now, and I notice the
> prescence of trumpets in the "Overture" number. This isn't the first time
> I've heard it, but it sparked my curiosity: I have read that John Entwistle
> was a trumpet player before switching to bass, so is that "Thunderfingers"
> playing trumpet, or a session musician(s)???

Now, I did quit band before I went to college and I was only a drummer, so
my musical ear may not be all that keen, but...I could swear that those
are not trumpets, those are french horns being played on Overture.  I
think I've read somewhere that JE played that instrument too, so I would
venture to say that what you are hearing are NOT trumpets at all, but
french horns.  But you bring up a good question, and since I'm sort of a
novice Who inside info person, I'll ask it: did Entwistle play all of the
brass instruments when they were used on the Who's songs?  I assume the
answer is yes...

Bryce