Local Production of Tommy

Last week I was able to take in a local production of Tommy (which I
inferred from the program notes has been staged very few places outside of
the Broadway and touring shows).  This production was put on by local high
school and college kids, and it reminded me of why Tommy is such a great
work.

I saw the Broadway show, and though it was slick and polished, it seemed to
me to have lost its soul.  This one was staged minimally, but the band
rocked and the kids poured themselves into it.  It had its share of rough
edges, but IMO that just made it better.

While watching the finale, with a stage full of kids singing "Listening To
You" as if they were about to explode, I saw why for many people (including
me) Tommy ranks above all of Townshend's other work.  IMO it's because Tommy
(when performed live) has a wonderfully balanced combination of hooks,
melodies, emotion, themes, and simple yet powerful presentation that
characterize great rock and roll.  And it has these attributes in more
abundance than Townshend's other great works.  It is music that is timeless
and powerful.

(For those Quad and Lifehouse fans out there, I realize that they are both
incredible works and will also stand up as classics for many years to come.
My opinion of Tommy is just that -  my opinion.)

Dave Elliott