Re: [Fwd: Another possible Quad film interp.]

In message <3378010C.6DD2@erols.com>, "David S. Lifton"
<dslift@erols.com> writes
>I've been reading the various interpretations of endings for the film
>version of Quadrophenia and I feel obliged to put in my tuppence (I'm
>actually American so I don't know if it's spelled right!) into the
>debate.

Yes, you spelt it correctly!

> Let me know what you think:
>Jimmy does not jump off the cliff. He rides to the cliff with the
>intention of doing so but chickens out because he's so messed up (either
>from drugs, teen angst, class struggle, etc..)that he is incapable of
>ANY sort of action.  Every time he tried to act on something (pursuing
>Steph, his friendship with the rocker, etc...) it backfires on him.
>While riding towards the edge,  his natural self-doubt comes into play.
>What if I fail at this? he asks himself.  Is there anything more
>humiliating than trying to kill yourself and failing?  And what would
>everybody think of him then?

Judging from the amount of French Blues he has in his pocket I'd assume
he'd be pretty incapable of rational thought.  His mind would be racing far
too much for his self doubt to register in his brain.

>If Jimmy walking away from the cliffs at the end is, in fact, the ending
>symbolic of his decision to give up the mod lifestyle (re:Had Enough)
>and start his life over, without the mods.

Exactly.

>Of course, this could all be a load.  The Who are the greatest bloody
>band of all-time without subjecting ourselves to all this.  Then again,
>they could be the best BECAUSE of that.  I don't know.  What do you
>think?

Hey, the discussion is half the fun!  It's nice to see so many folk
participating!

- --
Gary L