Who analysis & Lennon's feedback

> The Who are the greatest bloody
> band of all-time without subjecting ourselves to all this.  Then again,
> they could be the best BECAUSE of that.  I don't know.  What do you
> think?

David:

Welcome to the list. I would say that The Who are the greatest Rock band
that ever walked the face of the Earth (but then, I WOULD say that) not
only performancewise, but also because of Townshend's songs. And it just
kept getting better; MG was a landmark song, SO pioneered new ground,
TOMMY was...well, TOMMY, LAL was one of the greatest live albums ever
recorded, WN was almost perfection, and then came QUAD.
So we can subject the songs to analysis or not; the result is still the
same...

> As far as I know the first recorded instance of guitar feedback was on the
> Beatles' "I Feel Fine" which came out in November of 1964.  It was at the
> very beginning and was accidental but the Beatles liked it and kept it on
> the song.

Bryce:

That's what McCartney said, but I'm not buying it. The Who were using
feedback before this and had opened for The Beatles. So were The Kinks
and Tridents (Jeff Beck's group). If Lennon "discovered" it "by
accident," he must have been completely oblivious of the music scene in
England...do you think that could possibly be the case? I don't know for
sure, but I sincerely doubt it.

- --

            Cheers                ML

 "It's more than a looking back...it's a bringing up to date.
  Quadrophenia is about where we're all at today...maybe you too,
  I don't know..."
            Pete Townshend