Quad the movie and pills, thrills and bellyaches!

In message <337888D2.5DC0@sccoast.net>, "Mark R. Leaman"
<mleaman@sccoast.net> writes
>As suggested by another list member, I assumed it was meant to be
>unclear whether Jimmy went over or not. We certainly don't see him
>leaping off the scooter, which would have left no doubt. Just before it
>goes over, he begins to stand up...then there's a side view of the bike
>in the air, and then of it hitting the Rock. He could have leapt away
>from the bike yet still gone over.

Yes, but we see the cliff edge as the scooter goes over.  Surely we'd have
seen him fall?

>> I'm not sure if you are confusing two films or whether or not Daniels and
>> Winstone reprised these roles for Bad Boys.
>
>No, it was Penn and others in the US version. What I meant was it was
>adapted from Scum, and there were significant changes made.

I see!  Scum is a great film.  You ought to check out the original BBC TV
play.

Have you ever seen 'Made In Britain' which stars a young Tim Roth?  This
was also by Alan Clarke.  He plays a psychotic young skinhead.  If you
like scum you'd love this!

Regarding Michael Elphick, I forgot to list a certain film he did with Mr.
Daltrey called 'Buddy's Song'!  Probably the most relevant film and I forgot
to list it!

>> I don't think he had many tucked away at home.
>
>His Mom (I should say Mum) flashes the pills in front of him when he
>returns from Brighton. "You can look shame-faced, my lad." It's
>impossible to tell how many are in there, but it looks a lot like the
>bag he takes to Brighton.

Polythene bags are pretty common you know  ;-)

I don't think there were many in there.  He wanted the majority for Brighton
to ensure that he had a good time.  I imagine he'd leave a few to tide him
over back in Shepherds Bush until Ferdy "popped up" again.

>> I can't imagine the courts announcing a
>> standard fine of 75 Pounds yet fining the very first defendant a mere 50
>> Pounds - can you?
>
>I cannot say. Over here, it would vary as to how much damage the person
>had done (how many "counts" he was charged with). There probably
>wouldn't be a general fine; it would be case by case.

Apparently, the Magistrates simply fined everybody 50 Pounds. Those with
additional offences simply attended additional courtroom sessions.

>Why do you think the courts are so backed-up over here?

Backed up?

>> A continuity nightmare if you ask me.  Good enough to fool Joe Public
>> though.
>
>Especially Joe American, who (for the most part) thought Mod was a
>"Carnaby Streetist thing." I remember a book about The Monkees issued in
>the `60s, called the Mad Mod World Of. The Monks were FAR from Mods.

Mmmm, purist Mods were the first to shy away from Carnaby Street.  The
best dressed were usually from affluent Jewish families whereby the Father
was a tailor.  Observers at the Scene etc. used to cotton onto the styles
and the ideas would be passed down the ranks.

If it was on sale in the High Street, it was already well out of vogue.

>Brian, on Grant The Mod, wrote:
>
>> I can see that now.  "What I-I-I am, uh, t-t-talking about is, uh,
>> m-m-m-m-my, uh, generation."
>
>Good one! It makes me think of Rod (Stewart) The Mod, too. I can't see
>him beating up Hugh Grant, let alone a Rocker. Any British citizen know
>the extent of Rod's true Modness back then?

Yes, Rod had a very French hairstyle.  He dressed immaculately, he was
very, very cool.  He'd usually wear a very snazzy suit or a round neck
sweater with parallels.  He started the eyeliner craze amongst the boys.
The boys took inspiration from him and started becoming really
glamourous and the girls look became more functional.  Boys wore more
make up and girls started getting shorter hair cuts.

I've never heard recordings from this era but I understand he was quite
good.  His gravelly voice was perfect for all of that R&B.  I always imagine
he must have sounded similar to Daltrey on the Marquee '64 boot.
Same kind of style and material.

He was well respected amongst Mods, so he must've done something
right.

>I've never done leapers, but the speed available in the `60s-`70s over
>here was a lot higher quality than you could get in the `80s (or now).
>One was less likely to go "round the bend" on Black Beauties (for
>instance). The weaker the speed, the more one takes...and being less
>"clean," the stronger the "side effects."

Black Beauties or "Bombers" (Durophet) were withdrawn for being *too*
dangerous!  Supposedly, they were slow release capsules but they
frequently dissolved too quickly resulting in varying degrees of mania.

When they dissolved properly you got an interesting high which lasted for
hours as it kept topping your amphetamine levels up as it slowly dissolved.

I'd agree that today's standard of amphetamine is usually pretty poor.
That's the problem with powder I suppose, easily cut.  There aren't many
clinicly produced amphetamine preparations available these days, Evans
still make a Dex-amphetamine preperation but it isn' t very widely
prescribed over here.

Ephedrine is still knocking around here on the black market though.  You
can get a carton of these pills for next to nothing.

Each to his own sewage!

- --
Gary L