QUAD

This is the way I understand it.  The very beginning of Quad shows Jimmy
peering over the cliff and then walking toward the camera, backed by a
classic sunset and "I am the sea."  This is actually the end of the story.
His scooter has just careened off the cliff and he ponders it, as he
approaches the camera.  What we see from there (as the setting sun flashes
into the headlight of a scooter and the pulse begins) is how we got to the
ending; the whole story prior to that, as it were.

According to Pete, the updated version of Quad IS about drugs.  He states
quite clearly in a backstage interview before the MSG show, "Jimmy's
personality is split.. .When Jimmy takes drugs, the split splits." This is
not to say that it wasn't about drugs in other permutations. In truth, we see
this in 5:15, "uppers and downers, either way blood flows."  And
finally, Jimmy's four personalities are portrayed in Dr. Jimmy and Mr. Jim:

They are somewhat confused and enmeshed, however. As Pete states in the
aforementioned interview, "I'm just so. . . BAD!"

Mr. Jim, comes through, every so often, "is it me. . . .. for a moment?"