Feedback / Distortion

Neil,
I'm not sure how John E swaps from pick to fingers mid-tune (I wish I
knew).  I saw him in a very small club in New York State back in '88 and
there's no question he's the best there is.  Amazing speed.  He also
signed every thing I'd brought at the back door to the club.  The club
security was pushing me and two or three other people away and were
pushing him into a car.  John stopped grabbed my Sell Out album and
signed it.  I went to leave with my other album still unsigned so as not
to push my luck.  John held out his hand over the protests of the
security goons and asked me if I wanted the other one signed too.  I
handed it over and he signed.  The man is a prince....
But, I'm really answering your other question.  I'm pretty sure the
first recorded instance of guitar feedback was The Beatles with "I Feel
Fine".  Before the famous guitar riff starts you hear a whine which
sounds almost like an electrified Sitar.  That sound is apparently the
first recorded guitar feedback on record.  When the Beatles sent it to
EMI to distribute they initially sent it back thinking something was
wrong with the master.  But the Beatles recorded the sound deliberately,
just to keep people guessing.  What I think was more significant than
the first recorded feedback was the first recorded power chord (power
chord meaning distorted electric guitar chord).  That honor goes to Dave
Davies of the Kinks who, legend has it, was unhappy with the sound he
was getting from his little tinny sounding "green amp", so he stabbed
the hell out of its woofer and viola!  he discovered a nasty new sound.
This all important noise was unleashed on the world with the song "You
Really Got Me" and rock music changed overnight.  The Who and many other
bands followed suit and apparently Marshall amps started up a new amp
line with this distorted sound built in.  There have been many arguments
among Townshend, Beck and Dave Davies as to who "discovered" feedback
way back then (consensus seeming to be that all three were experimenting
with it at the same time, although Pete was the first to master it), but
there's no debate regarding who created the power chord sound.  As Ray
Davies, not Dave Davies biggest fan, once remarked, "My brother doesn't
have a whole lot going for him, but no one can take that away from him.
He did that!"