Re: Quad the movie & Kenny Jones

> Phil Daniels was remarkably expressive in that film.

Gary:

I think that all of the actors did an excellent job. Even down to the
bit parts, like the guy in the bath chamber or Jim's extremely Cockney
co-worker "I ain't takin' all dat fokin' change!"

> The most relevant references are made by his friends.
> The most striking comment is made by Dave in Alfredo's Cafe.
> "Christ, he's really weird tonight."

A good point. But Jimmy's behavior could just as easily be the result of
an increased use of speed (the "ups and downs," one might say) after the
hilarious Chemist scene.

> I think it would have been detrimental to the film for it to concentrate too
> much on the multiple personality side of things.

I agree; it would have been extremely difficult to convey it to an
audience unfamiliar with the story. I love the movie, however I think it
has a different message and focus than the album.

> I don't really think that the film gives us a "happy ending".  He doesn't
> exactly seem at peace with himself as he walks away from the cliff.  I think
> there's an equal amount of uncertainty there.

What I mean by "happy ending" is that the situation has been resolved.
Jimmy was let down by Mod, so he symbolically throws it out of his life.
Does this mean he's going to have a great life from then on? No; this
isn't Cinderella. Who fans in the audience would have torn down the
screen had it ended that way, I think. That would have been my first
reaction.
The album ends with Jimmy finally aware of his problem...but what he's
going to do about it isn't even implied. The movie is more
definite...that's all I'm saying.

As for the many Jones notes, I'd have to agree with those who say that
he's a good drummer...in most bands, he would have been fine. In
comparison to Keith...that's another matter. Few drummers could come up
to that standard, so Kenny was bound to lose. It's not HIS fault...if
anyone's to blame, it's Pete. He wanted to change the sound of the band,
and this was one aspect of it. Then, too, Roger and John wanted a more
normal "Rock Star" situation...which might include a drummer they could
depend on not to be pissed out of his brain or who wouldn't throw a
spontaneous performance at them, forcing the band to "think on their
feet."

- --

            Cheers                ML

 "It's more than a looking back...it's a bringing up to date.
  Quadrophenia is about where we're all at today...maybe you too,
  I don't know..."
            Pete Townshend