The Who, The Kinks, Punk, and a Feng poser ( or is it poseur?)

> I think that next to Townshend, Ray Davies was the best songwriter to
> come out of the British Invasion.

Aaron:

I would agree. I was a Kinks fan first (from `66, with FACE TO FACE) and
then discovered The Who with TOMMY. It may be the attraction originally
came from being a fan of concept albums (FTF was one), but it was
Townshend's writing and the band's performance that eventually won me
over.
However, as much as I like PT's songs...I've yet to hear him write as
pure and beautiful a Pop song as Waterloo Sunset.

> Give me your feed back
> Did The Who invent Punk Rock?
> I think so.
> It wasn't coined Punk, but think about it.

Charles:

As far as I've been able to find, Anyway Anyhow Anywhere was the first
true Punk song. The Punk sound had already been created; You Really Got
Me is about as Punk as it gets...or got, back then. However, the lyrics
were pretty traditional...a love song. AAA's subject matter was pure
Punk...down to the attitude and the way Daltrey sang it.
The only serious challenge (again, that I've found) would come from the
Velvet Underground...and their first single (I'll Be Your Mirror) wasn't
released until 1966.

> What I found here, are a bunch of nasty people

> See Bed Wetter (I liked Mr. Leeman's analysis that two people couldn't
> possibly come up with this name. Maybe I was +influenced+ by another previous
> post.

Feng:

Well, now...it's a bit of a puzzler. You claim to have recently joined
this list, in which case you probably wouldn't have even known of Ms.
Ledbetter's existence until then. So you're claiming that A) you read a
few of her posts and suddenly decided to insult this person for no
apparent reason, or B) you "copied" the insult from someone else,
because you felt the overwhelming urge to insult a teenage girl who's
never written one even slightly negative thing about you.
Either way, it seems that you come off looking like somewhat of an ass.
And rather nasty to boot.
So gee, it appears we HAVE found the source of the "nastiness," haven't
we? The solution is: If "Feng" is not nasty, no one on the list will be.

            Cheers                ML

 "It's more than a looking back...it's a bringing up to date.
  Quadrophenia is about where we're all at today...maybe you too,
  I don't know..."
            Pete Townshend