Re: meet the new boss, same as the old boss

In a message dated 97-05-01 02:38:33 EDT, amck@eden.com writes:

>For anyone who has not seen them (or needs a reminder) here are the
official rules of the list as Paul posted them last summer.  They are taken
from pretty standard works concerning mailing lists and IMO anyone who has
would seriously oppose them has more of a problem with rules per se than
any substantive complaint about the content:

I recently subscribed to this list because Odds & Sods was down. I didn't
know about the list's history, it's rules or much else, other than that
someone told me that there was another Who list and how to subscribe.

What I found here, are a bunch of nasty people (e.g. Mark Leeman or I am an
Asian and you are not), introverted shutins (In my opinion Tommy is my
favorite album or I know I'll get flamed for saying so, but my opinion is)
and generally very boring content in almost each and every post, that has
little or nothing to do with the Who, other than people that think that they
have become famous because their name has appeared on the internet.

These rules are meaningless:

>1. Relevance of Postings
   - The Who related only

Hard to find Who content. Many of the posts in the last week are about me.

   - NO FLAMES!

That's a laugh. I've seen more flames on this list in a week, than on Odds &
Sods in a year.

   - Language of postings

I believe the F word was used a few times.

3. Common Sense Stuff
   - Be courteous

Sometimes too courteous that you find yourself falling asleep by the end of
the post, other times, no manners at all.

    - No "1-liners"

A few.

  - Use meaningful "Subject:" line

Subject lines like, Who Digest #3,978,857 are very helpful.

   - Don't quote original unnecessarily on followups

See Leeman

   - Don't monopolize the list

See Bed Wetter (I liked Mr. Leeman's analysis that two people couldn't
possibly come up with this name. Maybe I was +influenced+ by another previous
post. You understand influences real well, don't you Mr. Leeman?)

   - Be aware of cultural differences

Who cares? 98% of the posts have been attacks or too boring to tolerate.

   - Give more to the list than you take from it

The only people who've given to the list, have been those in Europe reporting
back from the concerts.

5. List Abuse and Responses to Them
    - NO DISCUSSION of list abuses on the list!

The list mom forgot to read that one.

6. Enforcement of rules
   - By peer guidance
   - By private e-mail only (NOT to the entire list)
   - If you aren't sure, ask the list administrator
   - In extreme cases ...

There might be rules, but I've seen all of the above that I've commented on
broken in the last few days. Doesn't say much for the list.

I'll hang around for a few more days while Odds & Sods is out. Maybe someone
will surprise me, by posting something worth reading.

Please don't take this personally, it was meant as a reply to these rules you
posted, not you.

Cheers,

*Wally*