Tommy, Kinks, Dylan, Rules

Phil on Tommy

>As for the studio version, I guess recording/engineering techniques    >just weren't up to the job in 1969 (or whenever).

The recording/engineering techniques were definitely there by '68/'69
when the boys made Tommy.  One listen to The Beatles White Album or the
phenomenal engineering of Abbey Road ('68 & '69 respectively) bears that
out.  The problem was The Who had manager Kit Lambert produce Tommy.
God love Kit; he was brilliant manager with wonderful ideas but was
strictly Amateur Hour in the studio.  It's sobering to think what that
album would have sounded like if Glynn Johns was behind the wheel OR if
Alan Parsons (that maestro of mixing) was twiddling the knobs.
Considering the atmospheric sound they were going for on Tommy, Parsons
would have been a brilliant choice (Abbey Road, Dark Side of The Moon).
I can't for the life of me remember why Kit produced the album.  Anyone
care to refresh my addled memory?  I know there was some reason.
PS:  I like Tommy; muddled story, amateur mix and all.

Dave & Blair on Kinks:

	Yes!!  I'm a sucker for the legendary underdogs.  I DO believe there is
some weird Who/Kinks connection:  Both groups started in '64 (meaning
Moonie joins).  Both had loner songwriters each burdened with a physical
attribute that caused them tremendous emotional pain (and was one
motivation for their becoming rock n rollers) (Pete-Nose. Ray-Gap).
Both were Mod favorites.  Both bands were instrumental in the use of
distortion on record (power chord heaven), a major factor in the
evolution of Heavy Metal, Punk, Grunge, and Rock in general (Dave
Davies, you the Man!).  Both locked on to concept albums long before
most (and long after others abandoned the idea). Both bands had
secondary songwriters whose work was somewhat dismissed my the lead
songwriters.  Both bands are legendary for their on stage off stage
fights (we're talking several hospital visits for each group).  Both
bands are dismissed far more than the other legendary British groups.
There's more, but I have to learn when to stop. Suffice to say, I met
Ray at a book signing a few months ago; he shook my hand, asked my name,
smiled and thanked me and I floated home on cloud 12.  Who and
Kinks...yes, I think so.

Mark L. on Dylan/Beatles/Who:

Thanks for elaborating on what you originally said.  I'm now in complete
agreement with you (excepting I still feel The Beatles were as
significant as most people claim and that Hendrix didn't cull much from
The Who).  By the way, didn't know that about early Dylan.  That's why
I'm here.  To learn.

Eric "Den Dennis":  "I Can't Reach You".  I've tried several emails to
you personally but something's not working.  I am definitely ready to
talk trade here. Let's make a deal.  Let me know how to contact you.

- -Leo