Pete's Guitars

        I have compiled this information from photos, videos and from being
a die-hard WHO fan since I first saw them lip-sync I CAN SEE FOR MILES (my
favorite) and MY GENERATION on the SMOTHERS BROTHER'S COMEDY HOUR in 1967
(opening segment, THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT).
        From '64 thru '67 Richenbachers, Fender Stratocasters and
Telecasters seemed to be the instrument of choice. In '67 Pete played (and
smashed) a Fender Stratocaster at the Monterey Pop Festival. Hard to miss.
Footage of the WHO'S performance of MY GENERATION can be seen in the films
MONTEREY POP and THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT. A QUICK ONE, WHILE HE'S AWAY is
featured in the 30 YEARS OF MAXIMUM R&B LIVE video. In 1967 is the first
photo I can recall seeing Pete playing a Gibson (ES-335, dot-inlayed
fingerboard) in the famous "Birdman" photo taken at the Cow Palace in San
Francisco (Nov. '67).
        From '68 to '72, the TOMMY period, when the band blossomed into the
greatest live band on the planet, Pete played Gibson SG Specials. There was
an amazing transformation in the band's performances from Monterey  in '67
to Woodstock in '69. From smoke canisters, fashion, and destruction to
sounding like a symphony orchestra with only guitar, bass, and drums (oh
yes, and vocals).
        From '73 to '79, Pete switched to Gibson Les Pauls modified with a
middle pick-up and usually numbered with approx. 5 inch high mumerals below
the bridge.
        I'm not sure if the Schecter Telecasters began appearing on the '79
tour with Kenny Jones or not. Les Pauls were still the prominent guitars at
this time.
        In '82, the WHO'S LAST tour, the Schecter Telecasters were the new
choice. Remember the EMINENCE FRONT video from this period?(someone on the
list just mentioned it). A performance video in an empty arena at a sound
check. Nothing could be simpler, nothing could be more effective.
        Next stop '89. the 25th ANNIVERSARY Tour. Takamine cutaway acoustics
and red Fender Stratocasters with maple fingerboards. It was on one of these
Stratocasters that Pete impaled his hand while doing windmills at the end of
WON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN. This was at the Tacoma Dome in Tacoma, Wa. in Aug.
'89. If you want the exact date I'll have to check my ticket stub.
        Hope I haven't gone on too long or bored too many of those not
interested in guitars.

                                                                          R.C.

        P.S. Psychoderelict Tour: Fender Telecaster