Re: Concerning the Final Vote

At 19:53 3/19/97, The Who Mailing List Digest wrote:
>Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 22:14:32 -0500 (EST)
>From: dana hartwell deer <deerdana@dekalb.dc.peachnet.edu>
>Subject: Concerning the Final Vote
>
>> > And finally, the MOST favored Who songs are:
>> >
>> > The Ox-                               2.00
>> > The Dirty Jobs-                       2.00
>> > However Much I Booze-                 2.00
>>
>> I'm sorry -- I just don't buy it.
>
>You don't buy it? What exactly do you mean by that? You don't buy what?

That these results are representative of the opinion of Who fans as a whole.

>Do you think that those three songs aren't really all that popular?

Right, not in the larger context.

>Or do you think that people really didn't vote that way?

If you'll reread my post, you'll find that I specifically said that I did
not question your ability in tabulating the votes: "Assuming that Dana
tallied these correctly (which I do),..."

Perhaps you'd care to address my question (reprinted here to refresh your
memory): "Dana, what would the rankings show if you let each person vote as
many times as they like, giving one full point to each song mentioned?"

>If you think those songs aren't all that popular, you're obviously right.
>This was a very limited poll contained within a certain population of
>Who listeners.

You do have a point here; I didn't participate, so perhaps I shouldn't
comment.  I was also assuming that the value of your poll was at least
partially related to its producing statistically valid results for Who fans
as a whole, which isn't necessarily true.  I suppose a discussion of
possible reasons for the poll not reflecting opinions of Who fans as a
whole might be beyond the scope and interest of the list.  No insult
intended, forget I said anything.

Alan

"When I'm on stage, it's not like bein' possessed...it's just...*I* *do*
*my* *job*."                 - Pete Townshend