Sigmund Freud and Pete

Whosters,

Freud's theory rests on the belief that we all have sexual and
aggressive drives that become repressed into the unconscious. For the
rest of our lives, we are attempting to keep from acting on these
"unacceptable" drives. However, at times, our defenses fail and the
drives are expressed. They can be expressed in socially sanctioned
ways. Such as creating works of art, boxing, or engaging in other
socially acceptable manners of expression. I tend to believe that
Pete found a special "artistic" way of expressing these drives. I'm
not sure if it is a sexual or aggressive drive on the part of Pete,
but it is probably both, when considering his guitar smashing from a
psychodynamic perspective. Certainly his guitar smashing was
acceptable to his fans, but his detractors tended to view this
behavior as bandstanding, if not ludicrous.

I'm not sure what sort of point I am trying to make, other than to
make it clear how Freud's belief's may explain Pete's behavior.

Thanks for listening.

Cheers
Mark E. Klyn
Clinical Psychology graduate student