Re: Poll Results: Favorite Who Songs, Subject Lines...

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, The Who Mailing List Digest wrote:

> Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 14:42:56 -0500 (EST)
> From: dana hartwell deer <deerdana@dekalb.dc.peachnet.edu>
> Subject: Poll Results: Favorite Who Songs
>
> And finally, the MOST favored Who songs are:
>
> The Ox-                               2.00
> The Dirty Jobs-                       2.00
> However Much I Booze-                 2.00

I'm sorry -- I just don't buy it.  Not that these are bad songs, it's
just that they're so obscure in the general pantheon of songs to
choose from.  Assuming that Dana tallied these correctly (which I do),
there's either a flaw in the voting method (while it initially makes
sense, note that one person sending in The Ox as his/her single choice
counts more than 4 people who each list My Generation as one of their
five favorites.  This tends to overemphasize fewer choices (aka
fanaticism, narrow-mindedness, focus, or good taste, depending on how
you want to phrase it :-) or an insufficient number of samples.  Dana,
what would the rankings show if you let each person vote as many times
as they like, giving one full point to each song mentioned?  That
would show the overall popularity (how many times a given song is
mentioned) which would presumably be of more interest for suggestions
for a Best Of.

> Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 15:12:41 -0500 (EST)
> From: Eric Stanley <otter@expert.cc.purdue.edu>
> Subject: Subject Lines...
>
> Could we please try to do a better job on the SUBJECT of our
> messages?  I'm getting tired of pulling up the first page and
> seeing 10 subjects of "The Who Mailing List #61" followed by
> 6 subjects of "The Who Mailing List #60".

I do this when I'm replying to multiple posts within a single digest.
I'll try it the other way...

- --
Alan McKendree        amck@eden.com        512-478-9900 x206
Adhesive Media       P O Box 684189       Austin, TX   78768