Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V4 #64

> Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 18:45:46 -0500
> From: salamander@MADNET.COM
> Subject: Re: Freud, Pete, and "Horse's Neck"
>
> >I think Sigmund Freud would have something to say - Pete is obsessed
> >with penises all the way through.
>
> I'm glad it wasn't just me who noticed that! :)
>
> But then again, this sort of Freudian stuff can be seen throughout
> Pete's career...like that whole smashing the guitar thing, just what do
> you think THAT symbolized?

You sure do have an odd concept of the male human anatomy.  But you asked me a question and here's what
I've gathered:

1.  It was an attempt to destroy his instrument of self-expression as a manifestation of his frustration
at his inability to fully express himself.  Sort of like a writer breaking a pencil in half, but a lot
more violent.
OR
2.  The crowd cheered every time he did it.
OR
3.  It was something no one else had done before.
OR
4.  It had to do with art school autodestructive art stuff.

OK, I can think of an explanation that fits your theory, but it's absurd--as the conclusion of the
concert act, after some yelps of joy, the guitar was changed from its erect state to its flaccid state,
and would no longer be able to perform the concert act (at least for some time).  This theory is proven
by the fact that Fender guitars were made with the help of DICK Dale.  And I'm sure I could tie Les Paul
into this thing if I thought about it enough.

> And don't even get me started on his
> relationship with his mother...

OK.  I won't.