Re: Phil, Bowie, Depression, Zappa, & Pete's checkbook

In a message dated 97-06-17 12:04:24 EDT, mleaman@sccoast.net (Mark R.
Leaman) writes:

<< One can't help but notice the difference in attitude between today's
 young people and the `60s-`70s crowd. Music was upbeat then...and is
 rather fatalistic now. Music being the reflection of the culture, it
 appears that there are a lot of depressed young people out there...and,
 as I consult my Who timeline, by some odd coincidence this "depressive
 state" seems to have started in 1982...with brief reversals in 1989 and
 1996 (which seems to be ongoing for the moment). Need I say more? >>

Sad but true. One of the main reasons I don't listen to today's music is
because I listen to music to make me happy, in any form. If I'm pissed, I
listen to the Who. The art of smashing the hell out of your instruments gives
me a comforting feeling. If I'm sad about something, I usually listen to the
Beach Boys or the early Beatles. The music is happy, and puts me in a better
mood.  If I'm tense, I listen to Chicago, the music relaxes me. I'm not going
to listen to today's music to let out aggression. It tells you to go grab a
gun and blow someone's head off. It's just got an overall bad attitude, an
upsetting one, and I see enough upsetting things these days (i.e. the girl
who delivered her baby at her prom and left it), and I don't want it to run
off into my music, which is what I am most exposed to during the day. I'd
rather listen to "Good Day Sunshine" or something of the sort than "I Hate
Myself And Want to Die".....
Mike