digital bootlegs

There was an article in an issue of Wired magazine a while back about
the changing nature of bootlegs.  One curious thing that was mentioned
was this -- what happens to the "bootleg market" when people digitize
their bootlegs and trade them as DAT recordings, etc., with NO degradation
in quality between copies using the internet as a trading ground?
Obviously the bootleggers wouldn't like to see such a development since
they would be making no money at all from their bootlegs.  With many
boots becoming available on CD, it isn't such a ludicrous idea to think
that instead of sending someone a tape, I merely point them at my FTP
site.  Of course the band still doesn't profit from this sort of
setup either.  But wait... what if the BAND themselves had the FTP
site and you paid $5 to download the DAT?  They would cut the record
company and so on out of the loop entirely, and most people would just
as soon buy the "bootleg" from the band for $5 as they would spend $5
for a blank cassette to get a copy from a friend.

This discussion of the IBC Demos "Summertime Blues" track got me thinking
about this.....
- --
  ``Between stimulus and response is the will to choose.''  -- Steven Covey
     3D Paint: The Power to Create in 3D;		Rich Thomson
     email me for more info				rthomson@ptc.com