Kudos, Remixes, WGFA, & George Martin

> I believe I can approximate when Pete started actively experimenting in
> feedback.

Brian:

Another great contribution to the discussion! You've always come up with
something that ices the cake, as they say. Good work!

> it put me in mind of a humorous story from that early era which is not, as far as I
> know, very widely known....

JB:

And that was a great story as well. I knew that Bowie was an early Who
fan, but hadn't heard this one. Thanks!
The Move is another band from this period which lifted just a bit from
The Who.

> I think the remaster album can get more stuff for their farewell concert in
> 1982, or LIVE AID concert.

Henry:

Good idea...it would have been nice, instead of the released (on video)
songs from Toronto, to have the four Live Aid songs. Maybe on the
upcoming double live disc?

>         At last, I know there are 2 remain album still not released the
> remasters, such as "My Generation" and "Odds and Sods".

O&S will be a double disc, reportedly to release all of the remaining
unreleased songs (but timewise, this doesn't seem to be possible). There
is also a double live retrospective said to be in the works...although
personally, I can't see it as any less than a 5 disc boxed set. It's
also reported that the entire LAL version of TOMMY will be included on
this set. See, that's half of the damned thing to start with. Maybe I'm
being selfish, but I WANT MORE!
So you've got that to look forward to, as well.

> When I said I thought it wasn't "about" active revolution, I meant it
> wasn't advocating active revolution,

Leo:

Quite the opposite, in fact!

> but I also believe Pete's lines are not simply

Ha! That's an understatement! When have any of Pete's songs been
"simply" anything?

> When was the last time you saw
> a band of revolutionaries babysitting their kids while simultaneously
> holding off the military in a street battle.

That's being perhaps a bit too literal. I took that line to mean that
the fighting was "at home." That the kids were also in danger.

> It may not have started for political reasons, but it certainly wound up as a
> political event.

In the words of a great man whose name I cannot recall at the moment:
"Everything is political." Woodstock was meant to be a part of the
social revolution; since there was an active political revolution going
on within it some elements were bound to come across. But in retrospect
the festival is viewed as social not political. The Woodstock Nation,
you know.

> here are some thoughts as to why the FD and IH reissues are far inferior
> to previous efforts in packaging.

Mike:

MCA certainly dropped the ball on these two. You're absolutely right,
and I agree that it's most likely because they were originally released
on WB. However:

> everyone knows that these albums should never have been made.

I don't agree with you here. I like IH a lot (better than WAY), and
there are some good songs on FD (a few). You may be a person who thinks
it's not The Who without Moon...and that's fair enough; you have a right
to your opinion...but I'm not. For me, it's just an evolved Who due to
circumstances. Not as good, true, but still The Who. With Moon going the
way he was there at the end, it may be that we came out ahead anyway.
You do know that the plans were to exclude him from the band after WAY,
right?

> warner brothers probably said if you
> want the song you have to buy the albums. perhaps warner brothers gets
> royalities from the sale of FD and IH. that's why mca put no money into
> production and packaging.

Maybe, and I'm sure WB is getting some money from them, but MCA has had
them for years.

> I didn't post this to start another Beatles slash Who slash Kinks dominance
> discussion, either, so cool your jets, you know who you are ;o).

DT:

Too late; I've already mentioned George Martin. Didn't you ever wonder
what it would have been like, had GM produced The Who?

- --

            Cheers                ML

 "It's more than a looking back...it's a bringing up to date.
  Quadrophenia is about where we're all at today...maybe you too,
  I don't know..."
            Pete Townshend