Re: More Memories

I'm loving this.  This has got to be the cheapest, most productive form
of therapy available.

First time hearing:
I'm not sure.  I know that I was aware of "Pinball Wizard" and "I Can
See For Miles" while I was still very young, but since my parents never
listened to Rock Music and I didn't have any other older siblings or
cousins to influence me I had no idea that the same group played both of
these songs.  I think the seed of my madness was planted by the song
"Who Are You".  In 1979 I had a friend several years my senior who had
just got his license and first car.  I remember sitting in a McDonald's
parking lot as we were about to turn off the car and go inside.
Suddenly "Who Are You" came on the radio and I asked my friend to leave
the car on so I could hear it.  He went inside and I sat in the car
listening to this revelation.  A few weeks later I was walking through
my living room with this same friend while someone in my family was
watching our illegally obtained HBO.  There on our TV in living color
was the boys playing "Who Are You".  My friend, who was far more
knowledgeable than I, said "that's The Who right there.  That's that
song you like."  I sat mesmerized and watched the last half of TKAA
movie.  When Townshend held his guitar over his head during WGFA
something snapped in me.  I was seriously hooked.  The final icing on
the cake came when this same friend bought a cassette tape of Who's
Next.  I knew Baba O'Riley but didn't know "Behind Blue Eyes" and WGFA
(didn't know the name of the song at the end of the film).  He started
playing the tape while we cruised around.  I remember we were pulling
into my friend's father's gas station as WGFA started.  By the time
Daltrey gave the victory scream it was all over for me.  I had heard the
call.  The Who Army had just enlisted another soul.

First Who Album:
The indoctrination begins.  Who's Next, of course, was the first
purchase.  Followed at Christmas time by the compilation album
Hooligans.  Who's Next was my mantra.  Hooligans showed me how many
songs that I loved were actually done by The Who.  It also provided new
gems like "The Real Me", "Join Together" etc.  Hooligans was my 'Intro
To Who 101 course'.  From there I basically went crazy.

Who Concerts:
1982: Brendan Byrne Arena:  I was so worked up screaming and yelling
during WGFA that I actually pulled a muscle in the back of my neck or
HEAD?!  It hurt like hell until Roger's scream made it all better.
*1988 - Entwistle three times.  Met him three times after each show
(with crowd of other WhoFiends).  Life is good.
1989: 1)Giants Stadium (forget which night):  I was walking up the steep
steps outside as the horns of the Overture roared out from inside the
Stadium.  I broke the land speed record to my seat. 2)RFK Stadium in
D.C.:  Not a big Who town then; they were scalping tickets for $13, $12,
and $10?!?!  Whaa?!
*1993 - Pete solo at Jones Beach.  Nuff said already!  Good Lawd!!
1996: Quadrophenia complete at MSG.  M-m-m-my Generation!!

Remaining Who Life Goal:
Meet Mr. Townshend.  I'm sure I won't have much to say as my power of
speech will be conspicuously absent.

- --Leo